Don't you love spring, when trees burst out in fresh green leaves after a long winter? And when evergreens, like pines and hemlocks, push out fresh green growth at their branch tips?
This spring's growth spurt is beautiful, but it takes a lot of energy on the part of trees. That makes NOW the ideal time to get started on an arbor care program that will help your trees thrive throughout the heat of the summer and lead into the fall with brilliant leaf color or a healthy evergreen hue.
A Standard Program, Easily Tailored Just for You
Growth Products has an arbor care program built around an environmentally friendly low-salt fertilizer (Triple Ten, Arbor Care, or Autumn Care), Essential® Plus soil conditioner, and Micrel Total. All these products are liquids that can be applied via foliar sprays, soil drenches, or soil injections.
Let's look at the primary program components:
- Fertilizer: Deciduous trees such as oaks, maples, elms, and flowering cherries need a spring and early summer fertilizer with a 1:1:1 NPK ratio. Growth Products' Triple Ten (10-10-10) provides this ideal balance. The nitrogen encourages top growth; the phosphorus promotes new root development and flowering, while the potassium builds a tree's caliper.
- When fall rolls around, deciduous trees need a low nitrogen, high phosphorus, high potassium fertilizer such as Autumn Care 6-12-12 with 40% Slow Release Nitrogen. Autumn Care prepares trees for the stresses of winter, improves rooting, and encourages trees to create necessary carbohydrate reserves.
- In contrast, evergreens such as blue spruces, white pines and hemlocks do best with an 3:2:1 NPK ratio in the spring. Arbor Care 15-8-4 is an ideal spring/summer fertilizer for conifers and evergreen shrubs. It contains four micronutrients -- copper, iron, manganese and zinc (Cu, Fe, Mn, and Zn) -- and 40% slow release nitrogen. When used for deep root injection, its nitrogen release period can extend to up to 6 months.
- A root stimulant and soil conditioner: Healthy soil is the key to healthy trees. Essential Plus 1-0-1 can be applied year-round to alleviate soil compaction, improve cation exchange capacity, and encourage beneficial soil microbial activity. A 100% organic liquid, Essential contains key amino acids, humic acids, natural plant hormones, kelp extracts, yucca extracts and an array of other powerful ingredients that promote healthy roots, enhance the uptake of nutrients, encourage the storage of crucial carbohydrates, and reduce the impact of environmental stress.
- Key micronutrients:Micrel Total 5-0-0 contains a ratio of magnesium, sulfur, boron, iron, manganese, molybdenum and zinc (Mg, S, B, Fe, Mn, Mo, and Zn) that quickly and safely corrects chlorosis and other micronutrient problems. Its eight essential micronutrients can be absorbed and utilized by trees for preventing and correcting problems year-round.
Depending on climate, soil conditions, or special environmental or disease stresses, this program can be tailored as needed. In areas with highly alkaline soil, the use of pH Reducer is recommended, and in times of disease pressure Companion Biological Fungicide can help prevent tree damage.
Similar programs for golf, lawn care, sports turf, greenhouses, agriculture, and other green industries are available. Give a Growth Products nutrient specialist a call at (800) 648-7626 and we will help you create a program that will save time, improve product quality, and make your business more profitable.